Tuesday, October 21, 2014

An Interview with the Author of Passport to Happiness, Debbie White

Today The Book Nymph interviews Debbie White, the author of The Salty Dog, and Passport to Happiness


Where are you from?

I was born in Petaluma, California. However, my dad was in the Air Force and we traveled a bit, and then I married someone in the Air Force and we traveled some more.  We moved back to California in 2005 to help care for elderly parents. We call California home for the time being.

What inspired you to write your first book?

I hope readers won’t take this wrong and see me as being conceded…I’ve read a lot of books. I actually used to work in a library so I had access to many. After more than one time of reading mediocre books, I felt I could at least take a stab at it and see what I could do. I’m improving with each book, but I’m no Nicholas Sparks (although one of my reviews said they enjoyed my book as much as one of his!)

Do you write full-time or part-time? How do you balance your writing life with your family/work life?

I work outside the home full-time so writing for me is part-time. I also have an elderly mom who I spend a lot of time with. I’ve been known to get out of bed because I can’t sleep and type away. I also jot things down while I’m at work, typing them in later.

How did you come up with the title?

Both of my titles are self-explanatory. Passport To Happiness involves a real passport for travel, and The Salty Dog is the name of the boat that trolls the salt water off the coast of California.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?


All my books feature strong, independent women. That’s the new sexy, ya know!

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

 Event’s in my own life with details embellished to make them a bit more interesting.

What book are you reading now?

I’m reading an Elizabeth Berg book, Once Upon A Time You Were Here. 

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Yes. My friend and fellow author Bethany Turner.

What are your current projects?

I’m working on two. I’m in the middle of editing my very first book. I didn’t use a professional editor so it had a lot of things wrong with it. I decided (based on advice from a friend/reviewer) to work on my characters, and fix the grammar issues. I’m almost done with my part, and then I’ll send it to my fabulous editor. The other project I’m working on is loosely based on my moms’ adoption. It will be more of a romantic suspense. 

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.


I’ve gotten a lot of help from so many, but if I had to name one…hmmm…it’s a toss up between Twitter and Facebook.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


 No, I’m satisfied with the latest book. My second book The Salty Dog – maybe a different cover. I’ve had a couple of people suggest that I change it. When I mention I’m going to change it to others they are outraged. Don’t change it, they say! 

Who designed the covers?


It was a collaborative effort (hubby and myself!)

What was the hardest part of writing your book?


Writing is easy, it’s the editing that I hate!

Do you have any advice for other writers?


Just that it is rare that your book will become a best-seller so hang in there and keep writing. 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?


To my readers…I hope you’ll continue to follow me and read my books. I feel I have a place in this industry if given enough of a chance. For readers of your wonderful blog, I hope they take a chance on me. 

What do you think about e-publishing versus technical publishing?


I think e-publishing is great, but it’s hard to get the word out about our work. Marketing is hard, and most of us are struggling and on budgets. I’m blessed I have a job that I earn money regularly so I can invest a little more into marketing.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?


Well, I’m living in a pretty cool place right now. Northern California is beautiful. However, my darling granddaughters live on the east coast. Ideally, if I could maintain two homes, one on the west coast and one on the east, I’d be a happy camper!

Thank you for taking the time to chat with us, Debbie! Good luck with your writing pursuits.

Connect with Debbie White
Twitter @dwhiteauthor

No comments:

Post a Comment