Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Quick Fire Q&A With Author, Dean Giles!


Yes! The moment we've been waiting for! A fun Quick Fire Q&A with author, Dean Giles!
  1. Coffee or tea
Neither – Cold water, or if I’m feeling indulgent, cookies and milk.
  1. Which is more comfortable for you? Typing or hand writing?
Typing, without a doubt.

But, having said that, I tend to make a lot of notes with pen and paper. I keep notebooks and index cards handy everywhere I go, so that I can jot down ideas on the fly.

Writing with pen and paper gives me a physical outlet to creativity, that the computer and keyboard doesn’t always afford, so I do both. I like to doodle, and occasionally, ideas come to me through drawing that I couldn’t get any other way.
  1. Favorite food?
I like a variety of food. I spent some time in Mexico, and enjoy Mexican flavors. I love Pizza. I enjoy ripe fruit as often as I can get it. My children believe that I like about anything edible, and I’m sure that they aren’t far from the truth.
  1. Where did you meet the love of your life?
That is a story that we talk about often. We met on the public transit bus, traveling home from Brigham Young University. I was living with my grandparents at the time, a temporary arrangement, and she was looking at transferring schools due to a major change. It was an amazing miracle. We have been married for 27 years, and have five wonderful children. One of my sons is in Ghana serving a mission there. And my only daughter is in Chile, also serving a mission. We are blessed as a family, and I count the miracle of meeting my amazing wife as my biggest blessing.
  1. What's next for you?
I’m working on a book about creativity, how anyone can foster it in their life, and how to apply it to writing. It has already taken me longer to produce than I expected, but I still believe it has the possibilities of being done by September.

I am starting a new job, and will be using technologies and tools that are new to me. I'll be making notes, and studying in depth about those tools and technologies. Writing about how I learn the new technologies and how I apply them to useful endeavors is a method that I have used in the past to come up to speed, and become proficient. It is also good therapy when I am feeling frustrated about it or when it is taking longer that I want it to.

When I get to a place that I feel comfortable with what I have learned, I will have a lot of notes about the experience. I will organize my notes, and create a manual that others could use. I may publish the book that I produce, or just make it available to those at that will follow in my footsteps. Perhaps I will put it on my own shelf at home and think about polishing it to publish at a future time. The act of creating the book is the kind of practice that I believe makes for a better and more flexible author.

I have been working on a non-fiction series. The first of which could be out in six to ten months. I have a collection of short stories that my oldest son is encouraging me to put out. He has a couple of short stories to add to it, so I believe we will have an anthology out in the next couple of months.

For more on Dean Giles:


  


No comments:

Post a Comment