Thursday, July 17, 2014

An Interview with Author, Dean Giles

Meet our guest, author Dean Giles
Where are you from?
I am from Othello,Washington, though I have now spent more time in Provo, Utah than I did in my home town.

Why do you write?
Why do birds fly and why do cats meow? Writing has been a part of me since I was young. I have a lot of interests, and I took notes about what I read as a young man. I have kept a journal off and on throughout my life. I do a lot of reading, and I love to jot down my thought and connect the dots about the subjects that interest me. I hope to be able to help and entertain others with my writing.

What inspired you to write your first book?
My family and I wrote a children’s book. It was something that I had wanted to do for a long time. We talked about it, and just decided to do it one day. It took longer than I expected, but I was very pleased with the outcome.

What genre do you typically write?
I usually write informational books about a number of topics that I have studied over a number of years. I really enjoy writing about creativity and writing. 

Do you feel like you have a specific writing style?
I try to make my style informative and entertaining. I try to mix in step-by-step instructions with examples and stories to keep the information relevant and enjoyable.

How long does it usually take you to write a book?
I have been able to write a book in under one month, but I like taking a few months on a book—that gives me some time to rewrite and reorganize until I feel that I have the flow and purpose that I have intended.

What do you do to conquer writer’s block?
I’ve never experienced writers block. I have rewritten portions of my book more times than I want to admit, and I usually have too many things that I want to include, and have to trim and leave out sections because I don’t like the flow.
But, if I come to a point that I am not sure what should go next, or what I really want to express, then I take out my notes, and the books that I read getting ready for the one that I am writing. I reread the table of contents of the first one that I pick up, restructuring each line into questions about my topic, and the ideas just start to pop.
I write down as many ideas that these lines suggest, then see if I have already touched on those ideas. I finally start drawing up my own index, or “table of contents” using the new ideas and only start weeding out what I don’t want as I get into the writing.

What can you tell us about your favorite character from your book?
I like the characters of Gandalf from Lord of the Rings, and Dumbledore from Harry Potter. I found a similarity about them, but the characteristic that I liked the most is that they could see the potential hidden deep within the faults and unassuming exteriors of the major players in stories that they were involved in. I like to think that everyone has those hidden talents and values that can be coaxed out by a mentor or friend that make the biggest 

Who is your favorite author and what is it about them that inspires you?
My favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. He is a magician. He diverts your attention in such a way that you are drawn to incorrect assumptions, then blown away by the real answers to the dilemmas that his characters face—and then you realize that he has foreshadowed the events and the revelations throughout the entire book, you just didn’t see it until he revealed the whole picture in the final resolutions. 

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Keep writing. Write every day. Get it down on paper, clean it up and get it edited, but let it go. It will never be perfect, just let it go.

Dean Giles has written a number of books, a couple of which spent some time as Amazon #1 Best Sellers in their categories. He has broad experience in technical writing, project management,
quality assurance, and business. He has authored certification manuals, technical information documents, bug reports, and business reports. His pet-peeve is information documents that are too technical and wordy for most audiences. He has a passion for dissecting difficult concepts and creating actionable, easy to consume, step-by-step instructions that can be carried out successfully by non-technical people. 




http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I0MKFVY/



No comments:

Post a Comment