Tuesday, August 5, 2014

An Interview with Author, Jeané Sashi!

Where are you from?

I was born and raised in Southern California.  I moved to Central Nebraska for a year and a half to help a former friend with his business.  Moved back to Southern California and I am now, for the past four years, currently residing in Central Texas.

Why do you write?
I write for my enjoyment.  I believe that everyone has a story within them to tell of some sorts.  I like letting my imagination run wild.

What inspired you to write your first book?
The inspiration to write my first book came from some short stories I had written a several years prior.  I didn’t want to trash those stories and didn’t know what I was going to do with them.  At first I thought of writing a book of just short stories, but when I started writing the short stories took on a mind of their own, hence my first novel.  The novel came together as a result of those short stories.

What genre do you typically write?
The genre that I enjoy writing in is Erotic Romance.  I am not afraid of the word Erotic and I love Romance. 

Do you feel like you have a specific writing style?
I really don’t have a writing style.  I know some people write by outlining.  Me, I write from the top of my head, utilizing my imagination.  I free flow when I write.

How long does it usually take you to write a book?
My first book was written in eighteen months and my second book was written in nine months.  I am currently working on my third book which has been a work in progress for over one year now.  I am also working on my fourth and fifth book simultaneously.

What do you do to conquer writer’s block?
It’s funny you ask that question.  I have been battling writer’s block on the third book, that’s why I walked away from it and started my fourth and fifth books.  I hit a real block with my third book. 
I feel when you hit writer’s block you walk away and do something else.  That something else doesn’t necessarily have to be writing, it could be something else that you enjoy.  But, don’t force your words, let the words come to you.

What can you tell us about your favorite character from your book?
From Intimate Moments, my favorite character is Tonju Lowe.  She is such a go-getter.  She knows what she wants and she goes after it…business wise. 

From The J Spot, my favorite character is Kevin Stokes.  He has been through some things in his life and he wants so much to turn his life around and get on the right track to achieve whatever goals he wants to set.

What actor or actress would you like to see play your character in the movie adaptation?
I have never thought about seeing my books in movie adaptation due to both books being in the genre of Erotic Romance.  There is sexual content in both books.  I’m still not sure who I would want to play the female and male leads in both books.  That is something I would really have to think about.  Off the top of my head, I am thinking Angela Bassett and Tyress Gibson.

Who is your favorite author and what is it about them that inspires you?
My favorite author is Danielle Steele.  I first started reading Danielle Steele books when I was in the hospital with Cancer.  The first book of hers that I read was, Daddy.  I was in awe of Danielle Steele and her writings.  I did not want to write like her, I wanted to write as well as she writes.  

What book are you reading now?
Right now, I am reading three books, Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning; Success Women Think Differently by Valorie Burton; and Be Brilliant…Be Bold…Be Beautiful YOU by B.K. Walker

What are your current projects?
My current projects are three works in progress, my third; fourth; and fifth books.  

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
In my latest book I would have made it longer than what it currently is, but that is where the third book comes in.

Can you share a little of your work with us?
My first book is Intimate Moments; my second book is The J Spot; my third book which is a work in progress is Check-Mate; my fourth book which is a work in progress is Dirty, Sexy, Funny; my fifth book which is a work in progress is Mr. Five Hours.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
The thing that I have found to be challenging so far with my writing is writing from a male’s point of view.  That was a challenge with my second book and is a challenge in my third book with switching from a male’s point of view to a female’s point of view.  So far, I am having fun with it.  

Do you have any advice for other writers?
My advice to other writers is to just write.  Get the words down on paper and out of your head.  While you’re writing don’t concentrate so much on editing, just write.  Your editor will do the editing for you.  Your first draft is always your rough draft.  When you finish with your book, you may have 2-3 drafts of your book.  There is nothing wrong with that.  In each draft you will see the flow and changes of your story and how it all came together.
Keep this in mind everyone is not going to be your target audience.  So, the genre you choose to write in everyone does not read that genre.  Do not get discourage, just look for those readers in your genre.  Also, one reader may enjoy your book whereas another reader may not enjoy your book.  Don’t get discourage there either.  You book will not be for everyone.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
To my readers, I do hope you enjoy my books.  Please leave me a comment/review on the site you purchased the book from.  Thank you very much.


You can also find me on Facebook Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JeaneEBennett and Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/JeaneEBennett 

"Thank you for chatting with us today! We wish you the best of luck."- The Book Nymph

For More on Our Guest Author, Jeané Sashi:


1 comment: