An Interview with Kait Carson, the Author of Death by Blue Water
- When did you start writing? Wow, harder than it looks – I think all my life. And I always knew that was what I wanted to do. I guess the first thing I remember writing was a poem, it was in the 4thgrade and it began, pop, pop, pop, here comes the cop. I was destined for mysteries.
- Do you write full time? Oh that is my dream. No, I have a full time job, more than one if you count a husband, 8 cats and 3 birds!
- What did you do before you became a writer? I am a certified paralegal with a trusts and estates practice. I’m lucky, my boss is super supportive.
- Who is your favorite author? What is about them that inspires you? I have so many. It’s amazing and it would be impossible to pick just one. I am inspired by so many different things, but it boils down to the ability to write a rich and vibrant story and put the reader in the picture.
- What inspired you to write Death by Blue Water? NANOWRIMO – Yep, Death By Blue Water started out as Diving Diva during the National Novel Writing Month competition. I was living in Maine – it was November – I wanted sunshine and a scuba dive. The rest is history.
- Are any of the events based on something you've experienced in your life? Yes, I am rabid scuba diver. The Humboldt is a stand in for the wreck of the Thunderbolt. I’ve done the dive often, but never alone and no bodies were involved. I also had the frightening experience of having my first stage go bad on that dive and having to swim up while breathing from the tank. Not recommended, but I was glad my training included it.
- If you could pick any actor to play the main character in Death by Blue Water, who would it be? Hayden Kent – wow. Who would play her. Allison Brie would be my first choice.
- Do you have any advice to fellow authors? This is going to sound silly. It’s write. It’s the only way to learn your craft. Keep at it, even if no one else seems interested. I keep a little tube of Boudreaux’s Butt Paste on my desk. I think it’s for diaper rash, but it reminds me that if my bottom is not in the chair and my fingers not on the keyboard, then I’m not having fun!
- Is there anything you'd like to say to your readers? I hope you enjoy reading about Hayden Kent’s adventures as much as Hayden enjoyed living through them! I’d love it if you would all write honest reviews after you read the book.
- What are you working on next? Death by Doubloons. It’s the second in the Hayden Kent series. It’s still a work in progress, but this one includes treasure on the sea floor and murder, of course.
RELENTLESSLY SUSPENSEFUL DEEP-SEA ADVENTURE…
“KAIT CARSON’S FLORIDA IS DEAD ON IN THIS ACTION-PACKED MYSTERY! THE ENVIABLE SETTING, COMPELLING CHARACTERS, AND THE AUTHOR’S EXPERTISE ON DIVING MAKE FOR A FRESH PLOT AND AN INTRIGUING STORY MASTERFULLY WOVEN INTO A SATISFYING CONCLUSION.” – KRISTA DAVIS, NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF THE DOMESTIC DIVA MYSTERIES
Sub-Genre Keywords: Suspense, Women Sleuths, Murder Mystery Books, Whodunnit
Paralegal Hayden Kent knows first-hand that life in the Florida Keys can change from perfect to perilous in a heartbeat. When she discovers a man’s body at 120’ beneath the sea, she thinks she is witness to a tragic accident. She becomes the prime suspect when the victim is revealed to be the brother of the man who recently jilted her, and she has no alibi. A migraine stole Hayden’s memory of the night of the death.
As the evidence mounts, she joins forces with Officer Janice Kirby. Together the two women follow the clues that uncover criminal activities at the highest levels and put Hayden’s life in jeopardy while she fights to stay free.
PRAISE FOR DEATH BY BLUE WATER:
Connect with Kait Carson Today: